8.01.2011

World Breastfeeding Week 2011 (Day 1)

This week is World Breastfeeding Week 2011, and in honor of that, this week is going to be all about breastfeeding!
Today, I will be sharing a question and answer session from Shari Criso - Earth Mama Angel Baby's parenting, breastfeeding, and baby expert.
First things first: For new breastfeeding mothers, you should watch Shari Criso's Breastfeeding DVD {preferably before you deliver}. You can purchase the DVD on Amazon or watch it on Shari's Website.

Let's get started with the Q&A! 

Q: I've watched your Simply Breastfeeding DVD, and you state that pacifiers are fine. Do you have one type that you would suggest over another?"
A: Yes, I do think that pacifiers are fine as long as the baby is breastfeeding well and latching without problems. As far as which ones I prefer, I find the Soothie or Gumdrops to be the easiest for a breastfed baby to use. The straight nipple is more like the nipple on the breast. All babies need to suck. There are three things they can suck on...your breast, your finger, or a pacifier. Two out of the three are attached to your body. It is, of course, ideal to always use your breast, but it is not desirable or necessary for most moms. Babies can absolutely breastfeed and use a pacifier. Just don't substitute or put off a feeding with it :-)

Q: I know I should let Eadie wean herself, but I'm ready to stop mentally and physically, and Eadie only nurses twice a day, but is very set on those two times. What's the most gentle way to get her to stop breastfeeding all together? She is 18 months.
A: I always tell moms that 18 months is a hard time to wean. It is just hard to reason with a baby that age and they really know what they want and they want it now! The best way would be to start by eliminating one of the two initially. Maybe at night before bed, have your husband start putting the baby down. Distraction, like in the morning, not getting into bed together but rather going to eat breakfast right away may help. It may not be easy. I find that it is easier at 12 months or again at about 2 1/2. Continuing is not a bad thing in that the baby still continues to get the benefits of the breast milk even with the two feedings a day. As we go into the fall it will help her not to get sick as much.

Q: My question is two-fold. I'm curious if it's possible for some women to just not be physically able to breastfeed. I had issues with milk supply and have a friend having similar issues. Reglan was prescribed to me to help boost my supply, but I quickly stopped taking it after my Lactation Consultant informed me of some of the horrible side effects. So, then comes the issue of supplementing. Formula, donor milk, goat's milk...what's the best to supplement baby?
A: It is possible but rare, about 1 in 1000. More often, it is a perceived milk supply issue. the baby seems hungry after the feeding because he is crying (not always hunger), the baby is not gaining as fast as the pediatrician thinks he should (the CDC growth charts are based on formula fed babies!), or there is a decrease due to supplementation. If you truly have a supply issue, any breast milk that you are producing is still important for the baby and needs to be preserved. Donor milk is definitely the number one choice for supplementation when needed. If this is not feasible or desired by mom, then make sure that the formula you choose is organic and does not contain synthetic DHA. Make sure you are working with a knowledgeable LC! This is important!

Q: I have such issues pumping, it's virtually impossible! No matter what pump I've tried it doesn't work. Is this a common thing with breastfeeding moms?
A: Some people do have a harder time pumping than others. If you can't get the milk out, there are a few things that could be the problem. First, make sure you are using a high quality pump. My favorite is the Ameda Purely Yours. Try only pumping one side at a time while compressing and massaging the breast at the same time. Make sure the flange is big enough and the nipple is not rubbing against the sides. Try using some Rescue Remedy Spray right before pumping, this can really help with your let down. Lastly, it is really important to try and relax. It is nearly impossible to express milk when you are tense.

And that's all for today! I hope you enjoyed!
Sam

No comments: